Friday, September 17, 2010

Chicken Love

We've been enjoying having our chickens around since the spring. Looking back at their "baby" pictures, they have grown quite large. We've enjoyed showing them off to neighbors and friends...they can be a great distraction when needed. We've enjoyed about five fresh brown eggs and...


WARNING! Do NOT continue reading if you don't enjoy BLOOD and GORE...
adfadf
asdfasdf
asdfasdf
asdfadf
asdfadf
we butchered our roosters over Labor Day weekend. We butchered them for several reasons,
  1. we aren't "allowed" to have roosters within city limits and
  2. have you seen two roosters together? or heard two roosters crowing in the wee hours of the morning? If you answered yes, I don't need to go on.

I was concerned about the butchering and our tender-hearted boys, but apparently I'm the only tender-hearted one. I almost cried and couldn't watch, while the boys enjoyed the whole bloody (literally) show.

Jay did the honors, dipped them in boiling water, plucked the feathers, took out the guts, cleaned them, and froze them for later enjoyment.

I stayed out of the way, pulled a few (very few) feathers, rinsed the blood bucket, and stayed out of the way. (I know I said that twice, but that's mostly what I did.)

We ate one of the roosters that night and enjoyed a good meal with homemade stuffing and corn grown in our corn field. It was a good end to a not so fun day.

Now that the roosters are gone we finally let the boys name the three girls. Prior to this we didn't want to name them in case we had to eat them, which turned out to be a good idea. I may have pictures one day, but our three girls are Golden Girl, Reddy, and StormCloud. This is what happens when you allow a 6 and 8 year old to name your chickens.

No comments: