Monday, September 20, 2010

Bicycles

We decided to ride our bikes down to Julia Davis park a few weeks ago for the annual Art in the Park. We love to wander the booths drooling over merchandise we could never afford, laughing at all of the strangely dressed Boiseans, and examining photographs, taken by actual photographers, of beautiful places we've been to. (I'm teaching parallel structure to my 9th graders)

However, this is not a post about Art in the Park...it is a post about getting to and from Art in the Park.

We now live about three miles from the park, and since Nikolai has done so well on his two-wheeler, we are phasing out the trailer. So Nikolai rode his own bike with Jay's close supervision, and I took Aleksi on the tag along bike. If you've never ridden one of these great inventions, you'll just have to take my word on this...it's HARD. It looks easy when everyone else is doing it...but I found it hard to keep my balance and keep my bike going where it needed to.

Added to this, is Aleksi.

Several times while riding, the bike would suddenly sway to one side and I would have to keep us both upright and not run into others sharing the greenbelt path. Aleksi had several excuses as to why we were swaying:

1) "I was tired of sitting, so I thought I'd stand up for a while."
2) "My head was itching, so I had to move my helmet back and forth to scratch it."
3) "I don't even have to use the handlebars on this bike!"

Needless to say, we made it there and back in one piece and had a good time doing so...even if the ride was a little wobbly.

1 comment:

The Barker Clan said...

That is cute! I can totally see/hear Aleksi doing this.