Sunday, February 13, 2011

Bicycling


Our Pontiac has not been in great running condition for months now, so I have officially become a bike commuter. In the past I have tried to ride as often as possible...however, if it was too cold, rainy, or if I had loads of work to bring home, I would choose to drive. Since the choice to drive has been taken away, I have enjoyed endless days of biking the 3 1/2 miles to and from work every day...no matter what. So, I've decided to compile a list of things I love and don't love about commuting by bike:


Things I Love:


  1. Feeling refreshed and ready for my day.

  2. Knowing that if I don't get another workout in, at least I've done my 30 minutes.

  3. Time to think and enjoy the great outdoors.

  4. Knowing that I'm doing something great for the environment.

  5. Improving my fine motor skills while weaving in and out of traffic.

Thinks I Don't Love:



  1. Riding when it is below 25 degrees.

  2. Rain, snow, and fog.

  3. Dodging cars who don't look both ways before proceeding.

  4. Bad hair days...every day.

  5. Remembering to get both my skirt and shoes in the bag, so I look professional while at work.

We had a gorgeous day last weekend and decided to go for a bike ride together as a family. Nikolai rode his own bike and I took Aleksi on the tag-along. We rode down to the north end and took some back roads to avoid traffic. We stopped off to see our good friends, Cynthia and Mike, enjoyed a nice stroll with them, and then headed home. All in all it ended up being about 13 miles. Jay and I felt like terrible parents, since Nikolai hasn't ridden his bike for quite a while...but he was a trooper and we had a great time.


We're hoping for some warmer weather and more chances to get out on the bikes.

2 comments:

Katie Bell said...

If that's the only reason you can think of for being terrible parents, you disgust me. Glad you updated (said with enthusiasm and an exclamation point).

Katie Bell said...

singstes: a type of singing attempted by every American, usually while in the shower, when one assumes and hopes no one else is listening